Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Three Gotta Read Books For the Serious Job Hunter

For this article, I went straight through the dozens of job hunt and job hunt related books I've reviewed and forced myself to pick my top three books. I had to make some tough calls, but these are the ones that together comprise the meat of what every job seeker needs to know.

Book #1: What Color Is Your Parachute? 2010: A Practical hand-operated for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers by Richard Nelson Bolles. I wrote a characterize for this book and have recommended it to almost every job seeker I've met. Every one of my networking articles and presentations references the book's first part to interpret why networking straight through contacts is your best job hunt technique available.

I've advanced any job hunter and vocation changer presentations using material from dissimilar parts of the book. So you get an idea of the topics it covers, take a look at my presenation titles:

The Five Worse Ways to Job Hunt. The Five Best Ways to Job Hunt. The significance of Goal Setting seeing Your True Calling vocation Crossroads? Let Me Show You What One Looks Like In seeing Your True Calling, I put myself straight through a Parachute's vocation discernment exercise. It helped me witness how strong a set of interpersonal skills I absolutely had. It inspired me to think a vocation convert from software engineering to technical sales and marketing a few years back. The section I based this presentation on can be essential for both job hunters, adult vocation changers and college students discerning their career.

Book #2: Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One relationship at a Time by Keith Ferrazzi. A sales lead transfer group buddy of mine recommended this one to me a few years back. "It's a great networking how-to book," he told me. As a software engineer turned technology sales rep, I conception this was an area where I needed help so I went out a got me a copy. (This was also first book I download for listening on my Ipod - great for the car.)

In Never Eat Alone, Keith Ferrazzi explains how his networking skills helped impel him from his blue collar upbringing to his Yale, Deloitte and now Ferrazzi Green Light successes. This book is Not a how-to book on good brown-nosing and kissing up to people in a self-serving way. It is filled with practical advice including how to effectively work a room and how best to follow up and stay related with people. More importantly, Never Eat Alone shows why it's prominent to understand people's needs and take an interest in sincerely helping them. He stresses how people can see straight through hypocrisy so your work must be driven by a desire to serve others. That's the quality that leads to networking success.

It's so good, I've written a Never Eat Alone book characterize explaining how I used what I learned from the book in my personal and expert dealings. It can be real fuel for a job hunt.

I've also reviewed Ferrazzi's Who's Got Your Back and met him in July during his book tour. This was when he was doing his book tour last summer. He was on Good Morning, America and Larry King Live.

Book #3: Real Life: establishment for the 7 Most absorbing Days of Your Life by Dr. Phil McGraw Losing a job can be one of life's most punishing blows. It strikes at the core of how many of us define ourselves. It military us to grieve, face our anger, think our inadequacies and outright messes with us close to home. I know from first hand caress the damage it can cauase. A former work associate of mine took his own life and his unemployment played a part.

Please don't allowance this book because of its author. Dr. Phil's done a good job here. It made my list. I read and reviewed Dr. Phil's book this past Spring (2009) and absolutely like how to laid out the grieving process that goes on when one suffers a loss. Four out of the book's seven most difficult days address issues most or all job seekers caress and especially those like me that have dealt with more traumatic firings absorbing personal friends. (We can sit down when you have some time and I'll share my story with you.)

Together this variety of books covers three areas job seekers need to master in order to get straight through it all successfully.

Hope this helps.

great post to read Three Gotta Read Books For the Serious Job Hunter great post to read


No comments:

Post a Comment